Friday, January 15, 2016

On keeping lists

This is the week of January 11-17.
After Christmas we went looking for sale calendars. I got one for the studio, one for the kitchen where we track the whole family's activities, and I got this one.
My motto this year is "use it"
That's a whole post in and of itself.
I have a problem with actually using my supplies, as I might use them up. It's so ridiculous.
Another angle is that I love new things, and once I open supplies, they are absorbed into the "whole" not new.


The problem with that is I am not enjoying them. So this is me enjoying my new calendar. I am using it to make daily lists.
I usually make a list then lose it, then spend time looking for it, and don't get stuff done. Now my daily lists can be in one location. I still don't get it all done, but I can find the list!
I am in love with this whole thing. The images are fun to color and I am using my new prisma color pencil box gift from DH, my biggest supporter. He loves it when I write stories, so he keeps me in notebooks and pens. He loves my drawings and paintings, so he buys me paints and paper to paint on...

Both of these kits are the size of my calendar. They appeal to my love of tidy small kits. They are just chock-a-block full of colors...
He knew I wanted the sakura travel watercolor kit, but got the prisma color pencils because I whined one day "I've been using my pencils, sharpening them, and I'm concerned about using them up! "
Instead of sending me to a neurosis counselor, he kindly ordered a fresh set, in this really compact metal kit.
With a face on it! Yea! Now my big set stays with my big sketch pad, and this one stays with the calendar and I feel rich Rich Rich!
Anyway, I am learning so much while shading in the drawings. I even like the mix of uncolored black and white next to the lovely colors. Kind of like when the Wizard of Oz went from Black and white to color.

Magic!

I liked to color as a little girl. I spent hours with the crayola box of 64, WITH the sharpener in the back. I like to draw, but these little weekly drawings are highly enticing. Mindlessly adding color and shadows and seeing how colors mix when overlapped. It's a small thing, but a major thing to me.

And I actually get to periodically cross items off a list. Today I re-painted my now missing pieces. I am finishing the binding on the Kaleidoscope and love how the quilting on the border came out. I have joined two new challenge groups for 2016 which means I am still carrying over the connections word from last year.
So much to learn... so much...

20 comments:

Julierose said...

Oh I love coloring too--I have been using "Inktense" pencils in my Fauxbonichi Haiku Art Journal these days....I have so many products left over to use up....
But those Prismacolors pencils look really vibrant....hmmm
hugs, Julierose Love those flowers....

Deb said...

Great new coloring calendar and pencils set, you get to add lots of colors while you list.

Sara said...

How sweet that your husband loves making you happy! A friend gave me a color book and big set of pencils for Christmas. I've been also avoiding using those new pencils because then they lose their newness. Guess it's time to bust them out isn't it?

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Crayola 64! Yellow and green box with the crayons all in rows!
I had one as well! Amazing what one can do with crayons!
That's fantastic coloring in your new calendar!
Use it! Thanks for writing and keepinfg up your great blog!
Take care,
Joanne

Joanne said...

Hi LeeAnna!
Crayola 64! Yellow and green box with the crayons all in rows!
I had one as well! Amazing what one can do with crayons!
That's fantastic coloring in your new calendar!
Use it! Thanks for writing and keepinfg up your great blog!
Take care,
Joanne

Bonnie said...

Love your coloring. I have one set of color pencils (probably mostly old Crayola ones) that are mostly 3 to 4" stubs. Probably time to give up on them and use my really good ones for a while. But, I'm like you...I don't want to use them up.

Susan R said...

This post has inspired me to start coloring in my journal. I have named 2016 as "The year of Creativity".

Bernie Kringel said...

Your husband is a very wise man. The art supplies are probably much less expensive than working with a therapist. More enjoyable too. Your artwork is goorgeous.

Tails Around the Ranch said...

I know what you mean about using up art supplies. I have to grab myself by the throat at times and remind myself that's the whole point! Keep using 'em up; we are all the better for it! ღ

LA Paylor said...

thanks Monika. We'll spend the year reminding ourselves of this! LeeAnna

Angie said...

I have the very same disorders when it comes to being afraid I'll 'use it all up', be it pencils, pens, fabric, etc. LOL I LOVE your coloring book calendar! Would love to have one of those, and I love using it for list-making too. :)

Glen QuiltSwissy said...

I have the same "afraid to use it because I will use it up" problem. When I was a little girl I would get something for christmas then 3 weeks later for my birthday and that was it. If I used it, it was over for me until the next Christmas. So I would SAVE everything. Now that I can buy whatever I want, I still feel the same feelings though. Odd, I know.

I love that calendar.......you have something EVERY DAY so you can use it up and still have more for the WHOLE year! Perfect

gayle said...

I always felt so rich when I got a box of 64 crayons - even the smell was intoxicating!
I have a hard time using things, too. This year I'm challenging that - using fabric that I've been hoarding. After all, I was saving it to make quilts with, so I should use it to make quilts!

Kaja said...

Your husband knows you so well!

AlidaP said...

I also have issues using supplies as I like them when they are new! :) You are doing a great job in coloring those pages, they look very cheerful. Thanks for sharing!!

Kate said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the if I use it, it will be used syndrome. Beautiful coloring on your calendar, the flowers look almost real.

Zenia Rene said...

Very nice. good providence w/your lists. I bought me coloring books and prisma colors too. I also got some gel pens and so far, like coloring w/them best.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

I always loved coloring with crayons and I'm a list maker too! I'm going to have to search for that calendar!

quiltedfabricart said...

I was a paint by number freak as a kid. Hours and hours I would happily paint away! How do you you like the Sakura watercolor set? I went to Michaels looking but they didn't have any. I did find the brush with the water already in it like what comes with the Sakura and it is divine!

Create With Joy said...

I love this! :-)
Thanks for sharing this fun calendar at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!